AQA UNIT AWARD SCHEME CODE NO: 78388
CENTRE NAME: BRENTWOOD SEXPLAINED LTD CENTRE NO: 83015
UNIT TITLE: INTRODUCTION TO CONTRACEPTIVE OPTIONS
HEALTH AND SOCIAL CARE – PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT – PERSONAL, SOCIAL & HEALTH EDUCATION
DATE OF VALIDATION: 17 June 2011
UNIT DESCRIPTION: This is a classroom and practice based unit using examples, role play, standard textbooks, professional publications from the Internet, tutor prepared handouts and worksheets to help the student acquire knowledge and understanding of the today’s methods of contraception, how to access male and female contraceptive choices and emergency contraception.
PROCEDURES FOR MAKING AND RECORDING ASSESSMENTS:
Assessed by teacher through inspection (1,8-16) and observation (2-7).
All assessments recorded on an AQA Summary Sheet.
LEVEL: Level 3
NOTIONAL LEARNING TIME: 30 hours
OUTCOMES TO BE ACCREDITED
In successfully completing this unit the student will have
1. undertaking a pre-training assessment of own background knowledge;
2. watching a PowerPoint presentation about the menstrual cycle;
3. watching a PowerPoint presentation about sperm production;
4. watching a PowerPoint presentation about today’s methods of contraception;
5. watching a PowerPoint presentation about how to access male and female contraceptive options;
6. watching a PowerPoint presentation about emergency contraception;
7. taking part in group discussion about the menstrual cycle, sperm production and different methods of contraception;
demonstrated the ability to
8. identify, access and explore recommended reading material and websites to find up-to-date information about the menstrual cycle, sperm production and today’s different methods of contraception;
9. explain what the term ovulation means and when it occurs;
10. explain what the term contraception means;
11. identify and explain at least three methods of hormonal contraception;
12. identify and explain at least three reasons why it is important to use contraception;
13. identify and explain how three combined methods of contraception work;
14. identify and explain how four progestogen based methods of contraception work;
15. identify and explain how two types of emergency contraception work;
16. identify and explain how to access male and female contraceptive choices and emergency contraception.
EVIDENCE TO BE OFFERED
Student completed worksheets (1,8-16)
Teacher checklist (2-7)